Some examples of what qualifies as a housekeeping emergency:
- Bodily fluids in common areas
- Broken glass from a window or door
- Slippery spills and large scale water cleanups
For emergencies only, call Facilities Central at 202-994-6706 option 2. This line is staffed 24 hours a day.
The university is committed to being a model of sustainability and continually seeks out ways to incorporate sustainable, environmentally-friendly practices wherever possible. Our "blue cleaning” program seeks to reduce our carbon footprint while also decreasing the level of chemicals present in our cleaning products.
Because our cleaning agents are chemical-free, you won’t notice the strong odors that are often associated with a clean space. Rest assured, though - our products are safe, sustainable, and effective!
Residential Hall non-emergency housekeeping requests include:
Housekeeping will clean your room before move-in. After that, you are responsible for keeping your room tidy. This includes:
- Keeping bugs at bay by cleaning up food debris and making sure not to let dirty dishes pile up
- Leaving your shower curtain drawn to make sure it can properly dry off, thereby preventing mold
- Allowing your bathroom to air out after a shower to prevent mold
- Investing in a vacuum cleaner and mop for any spills, as well as general household cleaning products (housekeeping does not provide these items)
You can avoid odors, pests and mold simply by making sure you maintain your room. Keep your living space livable. Housekeeping does provide cleaning services for public spaces and hallways. Common kitchens are cleaned once per week. Make sure to bag your trash before placing it in common trash cans or trash chutes. Also remember to separate your recyclables. You may submit any requests for common areas through FixIt.
Items Provided by Housekeeping
Housekeeping will provide trash cans and shower curtains for each unit upon move-in. If you are missing any items, submit a FixIt request within the first two weeks after move-in.
Included in each unit:
- One trash can for each bathroom
- One trash can and recycling can for each kitchen
- One shower curtain
- One plunger per bathroom
- One trash can for each bedroom (only in rooms that do not have bathrooms or kitchens)
Academic/Administrative Housekeeping Services
Trash and recyclable materials are removed from all university facilities daily. Limited weekend housekeeping services are provided to specific areas on campus that are open and in use by the university community on weekends. Any additional services must be submitted as a chargeable request three days in advance. Housekeeping services are provided on a reimbursable basis for campus events (these are considered Chargeable Requests).
Departments are responsible for cleaning/maintaining their own refrigerators and microwaves.
New spaces will be provided with trash cans.
- Single offices receive one trash can and one recycle bin
- Cubicles receive one trash can
- Additional trash cans and recycling bins are chargeable.
Trash & Recycling
Everyone has a responsibility for the proper disposal of trash and recyclable materials.
- Trash should be put in the appropriate receptacles. Housekeeping staff will collect trash in black plastic bags, which are taken off-site for disposal.
- Recyclable materials should be put in the appropriate receptacles. Housekeeping staff will collect recyclables in blue plastic bags, which are taken off-site to a recycling center for processing.
- Please note that the District of Columbia’s recycling regulations (DCMR Title 21, Chapter 20) give inspectors the authority to cite building owners if too much trash is disposed of in recycling containers or if too many recyclables are disposed of in trash containers
- Visit the Sustainability website for more information on what to recycle.
Housekeeping Requests That May Be Considered Chargeable
- Event set-ups (must be requested three business days in advance)
- Pulling trash during events
- Carpet cleanings outside of the regular cycle (cleanings are scheduled roughly annually)
- Upholstery cleaning
Routine services are performed on a specific schedule:
- Carpet extraction - annual basis
- Hard surface floor care - annual basis
- Exterior window cleaning - every other year
- Interior window cleaning - as needed
- For special cleaning requests outside of these times, please contact Housekeeping
- Clean/extract carpet or upholstery
- Clean department kitchen including inside cabinets and drawers
- Defrost and clean department refrigerator and freezer
- Clean office after an occupant vacates or before occupant moves into space
- Refinish floors hard surface floors for a special event (14 business day notice prior to and event must be given)
Any facilities related requests may be submitted through FixIt.