Problems that might qualify as an electrical emergency:

  • Complete power outage in a room (all lights and outlets)
  • All lights out in a room
  • Handicap door not working

Non-emergency electrical requests include:


If you experience a partial power outage, take note of what’s plugged into the affected outlets.  Electric heaters are frequently the culprit.  In most academic buildings, you will not have access to a circuit breaker panel.  Submit a FixIt request that clearly describes what, if anything, was plugged in and when the power went out.


Bulbs Burned Out: Facilities Services will replace any bulb burned out in a fixed university-owned lighting fixture.  To help speed up the process, give a description of the location and type of bulb that needs replacing in your FixIt request.  Give as much detail as you can without taking anything apart.  For instance, is the bulb incandescent or fluorescent?  Incandescent bulbs are generally round and warmer in color; fluorescent bulbs are tubular and have a bluish-white color.

Completely Dark: If all of the lights in your room are out, call Facilities Central: 202-994-6706 option 2.

Electrical requests that couldbe considered chargeable:

  • New installations (light fixtures, outlets, circuits, etc)
  • Replacing functioning light bulbs with a different type of bulb (case by case basis)

Have a maintenance request?

Submit your maintenance issue through FixIt, our on-line maintenance portal. 

Emergency requests should be called into Facilities Central at 202-994-6706 option 2.