electrician changing lightbulb

Electrical Emergency Requests

Examples of what qualifies as an electrical emergency:

For emergencies only, call Facilities Central at 202-994-6706 option 2.  This line is staffed 24 hours a day.

Electrical Requests

Electrical Requests may be submitted through FixIt. 


Partial Power Outage: If you experience a partial power outage, the solution may be as simple as flipping a circuit breaker switch.  First, take note of what’s plugged into the affected outlets since hair dryers, curling irons, electric heaters, toasters, toaster ovens, coffee pots, and microwaves are frequent culprits.  Before you do anything else, unplug these or any other items being used when the outlet stopped working.

Circuit breaker panels are accessible in most rooms and are generally located in kitchens or near closets, windows or front doors.  Inside the box, look for any switch that does not appear to be in line with the others.  Turn the switch all the way off and then flip it back on.  All affected power should come back on.  If the switch immediately trips again, submit a FixIt request.

To avoid outages, make sure to use only one appliance that needs power at a time and do not use extension cords.

Outlets with “Reset” Buttons: Kitchens and bathrooms may have Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets which protect against electrical shock.  If there is a current imbalance, the circuit will trip and the outlet will stop working. If a GFCI outlet stops working, unplug everything from the outlet and press the “Reset” button.  Plug your device back in and see if the power has returned.

Orange Outlets: Orange outlets are dedicated outlets that will supply power in the event of a power outage.


Bulbs Burned Out: Facilities Services will replace any bulb burned out in a fixed university-owned lighting fixture.  To help facilitate the process, please describe in your FixIt request where the bulb is located that needs replacing.

Completely Dark: If all of the lights in your room are out, call Facilities Central: 202-994-6706 option 2.

Have a maintenance request?

Submit your maintenance issue through FixIt, our on-line maintenance portal. 

Emergency requests should be called into Facilities Central at 202-994-6706 option 2.