Trash and recyclable materials are removed from all University facilities and buildings as follows:
Everyone in the GW community has a responsibility for the proper disposal of trash and recyclable materials:
- In academic and administrative buildings – during the night shift either Sunday through Thursday or Monday through Friday.
- Limited weekend housekeeping services are provided to specific areas on campus that are open and in use by the University community on weekends.
- Housekeeping services are provided on a reimbursable basis for campus events (these are considered Chargeable Requests).
- Trash should be put in the appropriate receptacles provided by Facilities. Housekeeping staff will collect trash in black plastic bags, which are taken off-site for disposal.
- Recyclable materials should be put in the appropriate receptacles provided by Facilities. Housekeeping staff will collect recyclables in clear plastic bags, which are taken off-site to a recycling center for processing.
- Please note that the District of Columbia’s recycling regulations (DCMR Title 21, Chapter 20) give inspectors the authority to cite building owners if too much trash is disposed of in recycling containers or if too many recyclables are disposed of in trash containers.
What to Recycle:
The University recycles the following items: